the artist's statement

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye" from THE LITTLE PRINCE. When people ask me "WHAT KIND OF ARTIST ARE YOU?"... I tell them, I am a painter ... they ask "OH oil or watercolor?".... I say, neither... I paint with light ... they give me a strange look.... IF I have the time and I think they are really interested, then I clarify... I use a camera and a scanner as a starting point, and then where it leads me I never know ... the end result may be a light capture from my scanner, or a manipulated photo, using many different computer enhancement tools including photoshop...... sometimes I create something that does not even look like anything recognizable. Then sometimes, I use mixed media.... mixing a printed inkjet picture with maybe a magazine transfer using wintergreen oil, or adding paint, or using sandpaper to rough it up ....in the end I have something original that never existed before.... just a splash of pixel dust.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Stormy Night

A second in my Lady In The Window series.  I like the haunting feel of this piece.  I am not sure if the blue is not a bit too blue... too rich.... maybe I need to tone it down a bit.  For those who want to know how this was done - it is a collage of two photos I took.  One is actually an infrared captured using a trail cam of the woods around our cabin in the North Carolina mountains. The other is a photo I took of a beautiful woman looking out of a window somewhere on a farm in Belgium.  The collage was created in CS5 with some Topaz filtering.  The final addition was an acid edge added to give the final piece a more rugged look.  The tools used - CS5, Canon camera and lens, Bushnell trail cam, Auto FX, and Topaz.

No comments: