the artist's statement

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye" from THE LITTLE PRINCE. When people ask me "WHAT KIND OF ARTIST ARE YOU?"... I tell them, I am a painter ... they ask "OH oil or watercolor?".... I say, neither... I paint with light ... they give me a strange look.... IF I have the time and I think they are really interested, then I clarify... I use a camera and a scanner as a starting point, and then where it leads me I never know ... the end result may be a light capture from my scanner, or a manipulated photo, using many different computer enhancement tools including photoshop...... sometimes I create something that does not even look like anything recognizable. Then sometimes, I use mixed media.... mixing a printed inkjet picture with maybe a magazine transfer using wintergreen oil, or adding paint, or using sandpaper to rough it up ....in the end I have something original that never existed before.... just a splash of pixel dust.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

woods at dolphin rock abstract 1


.....one from my DOLPHIN ROCK series ..... there is a secret, mostly unknown place, in western North Carolina that has a rock formation, that looks like a dolphin jumping out of the water...... I was fortunate enough to have a friend show it to me ...... surrounding the dolphin, are a stand of birch trees that I captured in this still, and then I created a this painterly feel, using various techniques including different Topaz filters..... 

4 comments:

Ire said...

Hello John,

Thanks for dropping by at my blog. :) The new blog is amazing and you have a follower in me! :D

Johny Alives said...

thank you Nikita.... I enjoyed your site ... the photo you chose for your poem - the foggy morning with the egret - is in Florida USA - the egret is sitting on a dock piling from a dock that was destroyed by a hurricane many years ago and was never rebuilt..

cheers
John Alives

Derek Holyhead said...

Love the blog Johny, it's always a pleasure to see your work.
Derek

Johny Alives said...

thanks Derek... glad you enjoy it... all the best

Johny