the artist's statement

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye" from THE LITTLE PRINCE. When people ask me "WHAT KIND OF ARTIST ARE YOU?"... I tell them, I am a painter ... they ask "OH oil or watercolor?".... I say, neither... I paint with light ... they give me a strange look.... IF I have the time and I think they are really interested, then I clarify... I use a camera and a scanner as a starting point, and then where it leads me I never know ... the end result may be a light capture from my scanner, or a manipulated photo, using many different computer enhancement tools including photoshop...... sometimes I create something that does not even look like anything recognizable. Then sometimes, I use mixed media.... mixing a printed inkjet picture with maybe a magazine transfer using wintergreen oil, or adding paint, or using sandpaper to rough it up ....in the end I have something original that never existed before.... just a splash of pixel dust.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

dandelion dreams

this is one from  my dandelion dreams series.... this is actually a capture from my scanner ....It took me all day to arrange the dandelion heads on the scanner.... took 90 different scans until I found about 6 that I liked... this one has that feel of blowing in the wind that I was looking for  ....  other than cleaning up the dust from the scan, this is pretty much  unchanged from the original scan.... my time is spent arranging until I get just the right feel which I think I got on this one... I will be posting more of that series....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! This is begging to be printed HUGE on a large format printer and gone over with a bunch of acrylic glazing for that smooth & glossy look.

Johny Alives said...

thanks Adelord.... I agree ... I entered this one in a contest and hope to see it published soon....